Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Job Creation? Hardly.

    I guess this could be called an exercise in semantics but I believe in semantics.  I think things should be called what they are.  I could spend an hour telling you why I think that but neither of us would be awake when I was done. Even my fingers would go to sleep.  I could be the first guy to put a laptop into voluntary hibernation.
    I was a remodeling contractor for 30 years.  In that time I did employ up to 5 people at a time.  I never "created" a job.  I did hire people to help me address an opportunity for profit.  I usually liked these people.  Some of them have since become life-long friends but I never employed them at pay one hour longer than necessary.  I don't remember that as anything but addressing the realities of our relationship.  I don't think I pissed anyone off.  Well, there were the two guys I fired in those 30 years.
That wasn't over an economic concern.  I just didn't like them much.  Nor they me.
    My point is, and I do have one, no one has ever just created a job in the private economy as an exercise in citizenship.  Business people hire people in order to address the opportunity for profit.  If a politician tells you he's a "job creator" or he wants to encourage the "job creators"  he's an outright liar or a fool, which may be worse.
    This lie or foolishness is always put forth as a means to fiddle with the tax codes in order to benefit the "one percent" for lack of a better term.  It's never worked as a means of employing more people and it can't work because for an idea to be effective it has to have underlying truth in conception.
    All of this means; if you want to create a job and thereby increase profit, create a customer.  We can do that partially by manipulating the tax codes but we have to do it in the right way for the right reasons.  The trick is, obviously, to put as much money as possible into as many hands as possible.  That creates customers and that's what creates profits.
    A note about my politics.  A lot has been said about the access the wealthy have to our government.  Most of it negative.
    The wealthy pay over 60% of the income taxes.  That works out to about 24% of total revenues.  If they don't have enhanced access they certainly should in any real-world model.  However, that also means 76% of our revenues come from the rest of us as a collective,  not as a single class.  We have to achieve a collective, coherent voice.  In one way we do that.  We produce about 99% of the consumer profit to that famous 1%.  Those numbers may not be exact but the concept is exact and should be recognized.  The numbers come from various reliable government offices.  The percentage math comes from my head.  That's probably inexact but close.
    My politics are aimed at finding that coherent voice by recognizing our coherent, collective concerns.  I think all of us, no matter class, accident of birth or other station in life have a right to that voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment