Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Matters of Faith

    It's interesting that no matter what jail you happen to be the guest of  there is one book they have to provide to you upon request.  They have to give you a Bible.  You could write an entire sociological volume on the ridiculous assumptions and aspirational hopes that go into that but I won't.  Let's just say, I've read the Bible a few times, mainly because I like to read.  I do prefer the wonderful and humbling prose of the King James.  Maybe I believe the word of God should take some intellectual effort to access.  That would be an intellectual conceit.  Conceit is a no-no.  That's pretty hard to miss if you read the thing but I like the King James.
    The Word of God and the Voice of God.  It has been said that at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in, 1918, when the cannons went silent in France that the silence of peace was the last time the Voice of God was heard upon the earth.  It's a beautiful thought that borders on the profound but it's not entirely true.  I believe the Lord and the Devil speak to all of us,  from time to time,  in just about equal measure. It's up to each of us to know who happens to be in our ear.  It's a difficult test especially since there is such shame in failing and, of course, our immortal soul is at stake.
    If I imagined the Voice of God, He would say just eight words: " What is it you don't understand about faith."  He has said that to me. So, I got that goin for me.
    The primary concern seems to be the disposition of our immortal soul.  It's a two-step sales process.  You've got to sell good works as a benefit to your fellow man.  That can be a hard sell to people who have the voice of the Devil in their ear.  According to evangelicals I've witnessed, you have to add in the threat of eternal damnation to close the deal.  They seem to think much less of people, God's creation, than God does. That's kind of a bleak outlook.  I like people.  Even the ones who hand me Bibles for no other reason than they have to.
    Here's the Good News.  It's pretty simple and therefore obvious,  which means it'll take a while to sink in.  If you think back to what things were like on the day before you were born you know what things will be like after you die.  There is no torture or other discomfort.  Your sins will only exist in the minds of those who have known you but so only will your virtues.  Perhaps the images of rejoining some sort of collective consciousness without the concept of self are correct but how would you know?  Why would you care?  Maybe that absence of caring is the whole point.  Maybe believing there is a point of some sort is the mistake; the conceit.
    I think our cares should be focused on the here and now.  I do believe virtue is it's own and only reward. The greatest reward is still a goal , even if it's the only goal, devoutly to be wished. That's a hard sell.
    Here endeth today's lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment